A very simple “standard recipe” bread mix that produces excellent results.
1 x 12 gram sachet of dry yeast
1 1/2 cups of wholemeal plain flour
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of oil
1 1/4 cups of warm water
Simmering time on the stove top: 20 minutes
Thermal cooking time: 1 hour
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl
2. Add the oil and water and mix well together to form a soft dough
3. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic
4. Cover with a clean damp cloth and allow to rest for about 10 – 15 minutes
5. Shape the dough into a loaf and place into a large greased loaf tin or two smaller loaf tins
(for rolls, you can divide the dough into 10 even pieces and shape them into individual rolls or buns and place them into greased loaf or cake tins.)NOTE: if you are using the RPC 4500 that has only one single inner saucepan you will need to cook these one at a time.
6. Brush the loaf or rolls with warm milk or water and sprinkle with seame seeds if desired
7. Make a pleat down the middle of a piece or oiled Alfoil (the pleat allows the bread to rise) and cover the bread with the Alfoil
8. Place the loaf tin into the inner saucepan or saucepans and then place the inner saucepans into the vacuum insulated outer container for 40 – 45 minutes for Bread or 20 – 25 minutes for Rolls to allow the dough to rise until it is approximately double in size. NOTE if the weather is cold you can warm the inner saucepan first or pour approximately 2 cm of hot water around the loaf tin.
9.OPTIONAL: Secure the Alfoil around the lip with string or an elastic band to prevent moisture from getting in
10. If you are using the 3 litre inner saucepans place the loaf tin on the bottom and fill around the tin with hot water to 2/3 the height of the tin.
11. If you are using the 4.5 litre inner saucepan you can place a suitable trivet into the saucepan first and then place the loaf tin on this and fill with hot water to 2/3 the height of the tin
12. Bring the water to the boil and gently simmer4 for 20 minutes
13. Transfer the inner saucepan into the vacuum insulated outer container and closed the lid
14. Leave for a minimum of 1 hour
15. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack
NOTE: You can prepare your breads and rolls in the evening and leave them in the Shuttle Chef all night.